Negative amounts on Invoices causes the Trial Balance to be out on a Cash & Gross basis
Legacy KB ID: 346
QuestionWhy do negative amounts on invoices causes the Trial Balance to be out on a Cash & Gross basis?
This will only occur if you are reporting on a Cash & Gross basis.
Cash & Net, Accrual & Net or Accrual & Gross will balance.
Note: Before following the instructions below, please be sure you have at least one or two valid backups of your data file.
- From the Reports Menu, select Accountant > Trial Balance
- Narrow the date range of the trial balance until you find the first unbalanced day
- Generate a Journal report from the Reports menu > Accountant > Journal for the Date it is out of balance
- From the Debit and Credit column, find the transaction that does not match
- Double click the line to zoom into each transaction
- Edit the transactions with a negative amount and assign them to a discount item type.
Another alternative is to create an adjustment note and assign it to the invoice to off-set the negative amount.
Repeat the steps until all affected transactions have been edited.