How do I upgrade my company file from QuickBooks V 7.4 to QuickBooks 2002?
Legacy KB ID: 463
How do I upgrade my QuickBooks company file from versions 7.4 and above to QuickBooks 2002?
If you have been using a previous version of QuickBooks, you can use your existing company file with QuickBooks 2002.
Before you upgrade to QuickBooks 2002, you should:
Step 1: Back up your company file to a set of new floppy disks and set them aside in case you need them later (see instructions on Backing up data that came with your older version of QuickBooks).
Step 2: Create and print a Trial Balance of your company (see the instructions that came with your older version of QuickBooks). After you finish upgrading your software print a Trial Balance in QuickBooks 2002 (from the Reports menu, select Accountant & Taxes, then Trial Balance). Compare the two reports to confirm that your accounts converted correctly.
When you install QuickBooks 2002, the Installer searches for an older version of QuickBooks on your hard disk. If it finds one, the older directory containing the older program becomes the directory of your new software unless you change it. Thus, QuickBooks 2002 will replace your older version of QuickBooks unless you specify a different directory for installation
QuickBooks Version 7.4 and above
QuickBooks 2002 updates your files from QuickBooks Version 7.4 and above directly.
1. Install and register QuickBooks 2002 according to the instructions in the QuickStart Guide.
2. When the Installer finishes, double-click the QuickBooks icon on your desktop to start your new software.
3. QuickBooks 2002 looks for an existing company file to open.
* If QuickBooks 2002 can’t find your existing company file, in the Welcome screen, select Open an existing QuickBooks data file, then click OK.
4. Now navigate to your company file, select it and click Open
5. Follow the instructions on your screen to back up and update your existing company file.
* QuickBooks 2002 will now open your company file and update it.
* Be patient. This process may take some time, if you have a large company file. Do not interrupt QuickBooks or shut down your computer until the process is complete.
6. When the conversion finishes, you may want to verify your data:
* From the Window menu, select Close All
* From the File menu, select Utilities, then Verify Data.
* Now follow the onscreen instructions. If your data cannot be verified, start this process again or contact Technical Support