Preparing your Company File - Reckon Accounts
Single Touch Payroll Reporting will extract information from certain fields in Company Information and Employee Information. If these mandatory fields are blank the Single Touch Payroll Report will not be accepted. Single Touch Payroll will be reported to the ATO via Reckon GovConnect STP. You will also need to adjust your Allowances payroll items to comply with new differentiation required.
Below are outlined the mandatory fields for Single Touch Payroll and where to update them.
Step 1: Enabling Single Touch Payroll (applies to Reckon Accounts 2018 R2 and 2019 R1 only)
In Reckon Accounts 2019 R2 and Reckon Hosted 2019, the below option has been removed and STP has automatically been enabled in all data files.
- If you are currently running Reckon Accounts 2018 or 2019R1, you need to enable STP.
- To do this, open the company file and select Edit then Preferences
- Once this is done ensure you are on the Company Preferences tab and then Payroll & Employees. You can then enable the Single Touch Payroll functionality by enabling the checkbox shown below.
Step 2: Check and Complete required Company Information fields.
- Go to Company > Company Information and check and confirm correct details for:
- Legal Name
- ABN (Tax Rego ID)
- Legal Address
- Legal City
- Legal Postcode
- Payroll Tax Form: Phone No
Step 3: Required fields under Employee Info:
- Go to Employee Centre > right click employee > Edit Employee > Change Tabs to Personal Info, and check and confirm the fields:
- Last Name and First Name
- Click on Address and Contact tab
- In Home Address, Address Line 1, enter number and street name
- In City, enter Suburb, Town or City
- In State, select the relevant State
- In Postcode, enter the Post Code
- Change tabs to Payroll and Compensation Info and go to Taxes
- In the Employee Tax Reference Number field, enter the Tax File Number
- Change tabs to Employment Info and go to the Employment tab
- In Emp No. field, enter the Employee Number you have assigned the Employee
Step 4: Adjustments to Tax tracking type in Allowances
The ATO have introduced a requirement as part of Single Touch Payroll that requires you to differentiate between different allowance types. For most users this will require some effort to recategorise your allowances. This only needs to be completed once.
Reckon Accounts 2018 R1 introduced those different tax tracking types:
- Allowances – Car
- Allowances – Transport
- Allowances - Laundry
- Allowances - meals
- Allowances - Travel
- Allowances – Other
To edit your allowances, go to Lists > Payroll Item List > and select the Items where Tax Tracking is an allowance. Move through the wizard until you get to the Tax tracking type screen and adjust your allowance type from there.
By default, when you upgrade any data file from 2017 and older versions into 2018 R1 and later, existing Allowances will be allocated to the tax tracking type ‘Allowances – Other’. You will need to edit each of the existing Allowances Payroll Items that you may have and assign them to the appropriate tax tracking type. You may need to create new Allowances payroll items.
Your company file is now SINGLE TOUCH PAYROLL ready 👍