Error: QuickBooks has a problem in reading this registration file: qbregistration.dat
Legacy KB ID: 289
QuestionWhy am I receiving the Error: QuickBooks has a problem in reading this registration file: qbregistration.dat?
When starting QuickBooks, the "Loading QuickBooks..." screen appears temporarily, and then the following error message appears:
- QuickBooks has a problem in reading this registration file. You need to ask your system administrator to REMOVE this file and re-install QuickBooks
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBRegistration.dat
This error usually occurs if there has been damage to the MSXML component of Windows.
Note: This has been known to occur after installing an update to Symantec's Norton 360 security software suite.
This error may also occur even if Norton 360 is not installed on the computer.
In order to fix the problem, you will need to repair the damaged MSXML 4 component.
- Disable your anti-virus or anti-spyware program.
To install or repair the MSXML 4:
- Download the msxml.msi [2.3MB] installation file from Microsoft's MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 3 Web page provided in the link below and save it to local disk C:
- Click the Windows Start button and select Run.
- Enter msiexec.exe /fvaum c:\msxml.msi in the Open field and click OK.
- Click the Windows Logo button.
- Enter msiexec.exe /fvaum c:\msxml.msi in the Start Search field and press Enter.
Install QuickBooks after the MSXML 4 installation is finished.
Enable your anti-virus or anti-spyware program.
Need more help?
Ask the Reckon Community at: https://community.reckon.com/reckon.