Error: "Parameter is incorrect Step 2" when activating QuickBooks 2006-07
Legacy KB ID: 32
Why do I get the error message 'Parameter is incorrect. Step 2' when activating QuickBooks 2006-07 or earlier versions?
Microsoft Internet Explorer version 7.x was first supported in the Quickbooks 2007/08 edition. Earlier versions may encounter various issues like this one.
Workaround 1: Windows 7 & Vista
Reinstall QuickBooks in compatibility mode
1. Uninstall Quickbooks
2. On the installation disk, go to CD:\Qbooks\
3. Right-click on the file setup.exe > Properties > Compatibility
4. Tick the box Run this program in compatibility mode for: and select Windows XP Service Pack 2
5. In the Privilege Level section, tick the box Run this program as an administrator
6. Click OK
7. Double Click on setup.exe to install QuickBooks.
Workaround 2: Manually register your product.
1. Launch QuickBooks and open a company file;
2. press Ctrl + F12 or Ctrl + 3 together on your keyboard;
3. Call our Customer Service team on 1300 650 061;
4. Quote the Product Number on the screen
5. Enter the License Number you get from the Representative in the empty boxes.
Workaround 3: Revert to an earlier version of Internet Explorer
See your IT professional to uninstall Internet Explorer 7.x and install Internet Explorer 6.x.
Workaround 4: Use QuickBooks on another machine that does not use Internet Explorer 7.x or higher.