Error 1935: This setup requires .NET Framework 1.1 when installing QuickBooks QBi 2008/09
Legacy KB ID: 230
QuestionWhy do I receive the following message - Error 1935: This setup requires .NET Framework 1.1 when installing QuickBooks QBi 2008/09?
What is happening?
The following error occurs when installing QuickBooks or the Microsoft .NET Framework:
1935. This setup requires .NET Framework 1.1.
Why is this happening?
This error can occur for one of the following reasons:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 system files are in use by another installation.
- A conflicting third-party application is installed.
- Anti-virus/anti-spyware applications are preventing installation.
- .NET Framework 1.1 is not installed on the system and something has stopped the installation of the program.
How to fix the problem
This article describes how to resolve this issue by checking for busy files and conflicting third-party applications.
To resolve this issue:
1. Restart the computer.
2. Check running processes:
a. Stop/disable any anti-virus software.
b. Right-click the Microsoft Windows task bar, and then select Task Manager. The Task Manager window opens.
c. Click the Processes tab and look for the following processes:
d. If one or more of these processes exist, contact your anti-virus/anti-spyware vendor for removal instructions. Alternatively, you can visit the Symantec Web site for a free removal tool and instructions.
3. If the error is occurring on a Microsoft Windows 2000 computer, please skip to Step 5.
4. Restart your system in Selective Startup mode:
a. Click the Microsoft Windows Start button, select Run, type msconfig in the Open window, and then click OK.
b. Click the General tab, and then select the Selective Startup checkbox.
c. Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File, Process WIN.INI File, Load System Services, and Load Startup Items checkboxes.
d. Click the Services tab, and then click the Disable All button. (This will clear all checkboxes except for Remote Procedure Call and Remote Procedure Call Locator.)
e. Scroll down the list to find Windows Installer.
f. Select the Windows Installer checkbox, and click OK to restart the computer.
g. After restarting, close any messages advising you that you are in Selective Startup mode and close the System Configuration Utility. (Important: Do not click OK. This will restart the computer.)
h. Reinstall QuickBooks.
i. If the installation was not successful, continue with the following steps.
5. Check for conflicting third-party applications:
a. Click the Microsoft Windows Start button, select Run, type appwiz.cpl in the Open window, and then click OK. The "Add or Remove Programs" window opens.
b. Look for the following programs listed under Currently installed programs:
- Easy Installer
- System Mechanic
- HP Component Manager
6. If one or more of the above programs are listed, select the program, click the Change/Remove button and then (if prompted) click Yes to confirm the removal. Follow the onscreen instructions to remove the program.
7. Delete the temporary files on the computer:
a. Click on My Computer
b. Double click on C: > Windows > Temp
c. Click Edit > Select all
d. Click Edit > Delete
e. Close the window
f. Right click on your Recycle Bin and choose Empty Recycle Bin
Note: If the issue is still not resolved and if Ad Aware is installed on the computer:
1. Set Ad-Aware to manual mode.
2. Quit Ad-Watch.
3. Install QuickBooks.
4. Restart Ad-Watch.
5. Accept the changes that Ad-Watch detects as they appear on the screen.
To check to see if .NET Framework 1.1 is installed on the system:
1. Go to Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel
2. Check for a listing for Microsoft (R) .NET Framework 1.1, if you do not find this listing continue with the next step.
Note: Microsoft Windows Vista users will need to turn off User Account Control.
3. Insert the QuickBooks CD into the CD ROM drive.
4. Cancel the prompt to begin the installation of QuickBooks if it starts.
5. Open My Computer
6. Right click on the CD ROM drive and select Open
7. Open the Third Party folder
8. Open the DotNet11 folder
9. Double -click DotNetfx and go through the install
10. Double-click DotNetSp1 and go through the install
11. Reboot the computer
12. Attempt the install of QuickBooks again.