Installing QuickBooks QBi in Selective Startup or Safe Mode
Legacy KB ID: 152
QuestionHow do I install QuickBooks QBi in Selective Startup or Safe Mode?
Why is this happening?
Third party applications can interfere with the successful installation of QuickBooks. As a result, it might be necessary to install QuickBooks in a special diagnostic mode of Microsoft Windows called Selective Startup. Selective Startup mode enables you to start Windows while selecting which specific items to run.
How to fix the problem
To resolve this issue, install QuickBooks in Selective Startup Mode rather than in Safe Mode.
Important: Safe Mode should not be used to install QuickBooks QBi.
Earlier versions of QuickBooks used InstallShield technology to install QuickBooks. QuickBooks 2008/09 and above uses the Microsoft Windows Installer. The Microsoft Windows Installer requires the Windows Installer Service to run as a service. As a result Safe Mode is no longer an option for troubleshooting potential third party installation conflicts.
Microsoft Windows 7, Vista or XP: Restart the computer in Selective Startup Mode and then install QuickBooks
1. Click the Microsoft Windows Start button and select Run.
Note: If the Run window doesn't display, press and hold the Windows icon button on the right side of the keyboard's space bar, and press the R key. This will display the Run window.
2. In the Open field, type MSCONFIG, and then click OK. The System Configuration Utility window opens.
3. Click the General tab, and then select Selective Startup.
4. Select the Load System Services checkbox and clear the Load Startup Items checkbox.
5. Click the Services tab, locate Windows Installer and make sure it is ticked.
6. Click Hide all Microsoft Services checkbox at the bottom of the window.
7. Click the Disable all button to clear all selected services.
8. Click OK. The System Configuration message window appears.
9. Click the Restart button.
10. Run the QuickBooks installation from the CD-ROM. The QuickBooks installation should start automatically after placing the QuickBooks installation CD-ROM in your CD-ROM drive. If it does not:
a. Double-click the My Computer icon on the Microsoft Windows desktop (or click the Start button and select My Computer). The My Computer window opens.
b. Double-click the CD-ROM drive.
c. Double-click the Setup.exe (or Setup) file to begin the QuickBooks installation.
11. Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
After installing, complete the following steps to revert your system to its previous configuration:
1. Click the Windows Start button and select Run.
2. In the Open field, type MSCONFIG, and then click OK.
3. Click the General tab and select the Normal Startup option.
4. Click OK. The System Configuration message window appears.
5. Click Restart.
If the installation is not successful, you will need to install using a hard disk installation, by copying the installation files to the hard drive of your computer.
Before copying the installation files, you will need to configure your computer so Show hidden files and folders and file extensions.
- Right-click the Windows Start button and select Explore.
- Select the Tools menu and select Folder Options.
- Click the View tab and clear the Hide extensions for known file types checkbox.
- Select Show hidden files and folders and clear Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
- Click OK and close this window.
Windows 7 & Vista
- Right-click the Windows Logo button and select Explore.
- Click Organize and select Folder and Search Options.
- Click the View tab, select Show hidden files and folders and then clear the checkbox for Hide protected system operating files.
- Click Yes on the warning and then click OK.
- Close this window.
Once this has been completed, follow the steps below:
1. Right-click on the Windows desktop and select New > Folder. This will create a folder named New Folder on the desktop.
2. Place the QuickBooks CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive, if a message prompting you to install QuickBooks appears, click Quit.
3. Double-click My Computer on the desktop. The My Computer window opens.
4. Select the CD-ROM drive, and then select the File menu and select Open. The contents of the CD-ROM are displayed.
5. From the Edit menu, choose Select All.
6. From the Edit menu, select Copy. Close the My Computer window.
7. Double-click the New Folder that was created in step 1. The New Folder window opens.
8. In the New Folder window, select the Edit menu and select Paste. This will copy the contents of the QuickBooks program from the CD-ROM to the hard disk.
Note: If the folder does not copy successfully, this indicates a problem with the CD-ROM or with your CD-ROM drive. Attempt to use the CD-ROM on another computer to see if you still experience difficulties. Otherwise, contact Customer Service for a replacement disk.
9. In the New Folder window, double-click the Setup.exe file (or Setup) to begin the QuickBooks installation.
10. Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
11. After the installation completes, follow the above steps to revert your system to its previous configuration.
Need more help?
Ask the Reckon Community at: https://community.reckon.com/reckon.