QuickBooks Update Utility - Old file not found when updating QuickBooks 2007-08
Legacy KB ID: 187
QuestionWhy do I receive an error - old file not found when I update my QuickBooks 2007-08 with the email patch?
QuickBooks must be updated with Service Pack 1 before applying the email patch.
Check that QuickBooks 2007/08 Service Pack 1 has been installed by pressing CTRL+1 on your keyboard simultaneously. This displays the Product Information dialog. The 'Versions Used on File' (middle of screen) should state 'V16.OA R4 [date]'. This indicates that you have the service pack installed. If Service Pack 1 is not installed do not install this patch.
If you do not have the update installed, follow the instructions below:
1. Download the 'QB2007-08SP1.exe'which can be found from the following link: https://members.quicken.com.au/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fUpdatesAndServicePacks.aspx and save it to a location on your hard drive (For example, C:\[temp] or the Desktop).
2. Use Windows Explorer to locate 'QB2007-08SP1.exe', the file you just saved, and double-click it to run the setup program.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to install QuickBooks 2007/08 Service Pack 1. After installing the service pack successfully, you can delete the 'QB2007-08SP1.exe' file. Alternatively, save it to a safe location in case you need to re-install QuickBooks and this service pack at a later date.
[Vista users only] If you receive a "Program Compatibility Message", click "This program installed correctly" and continue with the installation.
5. The first time you open QuickBooks 2007/08, a message displays informing you that 'QuickBooks has recently downloaded a software update'. Click Yes to update QuickBooks.
When Service Pack 1 is completed, install the email patch from the instructions below:
1. Download the "QB2007-08EmailPatch.exe" which can be found from the following link: https://quicken.com.au/support/updates/QuickBooks/QuickBooks2007-08EmailPatch.aspx and save it to a location on your hard drive (For example, C:\[temp] or the Desktop).
2. Use Windows Explorer to locate "QB2007-08EmailPatch.exe", the file you just saved, and double click it to run the setup program.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to install QuickBooks 2007/08 Email Patch. After installing the QuickBooks patch successfully on all non Microsoft Windows Vista and/or Office 2007 machines, you can delete the "QB2007-08EmailPatch.exe" file. Alternatively, save it to a safe location in case you need to re-install QuickBooks and this patch at a later date.
4. The first time you open QuickBooks 2007/08, a message displays informing you that "QuickBooks has recently downloaded a software update". Click Yes to update QuickBooks.
5. The QuickBooks Update Utility will commence. When it has reached 100%, QuickBooks displays a message that "Your version of QuickBooks 2007/08 is now up to date". Click OK. QuickBooks will now open.
6. Check that the patch has been installed successfully by checking your emailing capabilities. When creating an email through QuickBooks your email application should open for you to preview and edit the email. If this occurs it indicates that you have installed the patch successfully.
*Note - This patch is not applicable for Microsoft Windows Vista and/or Microsoft Office 2007 users.