QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close when configuring the BAS Report
Legacy KB ID: 415
QuestionWhy do I receive the error message - QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close when configuring the BAS Report?
***** THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN ADDRESSED IN THE 2011/12 EDITION *****
This can occur when new installation files are residing in the previous installation folder.
Note: Before following the steps below, be sure you have at least one or two valid backups of all your data files.
1. Close QuickBooks.
2. Open Windows Explorer and go to the folder into which QuickBooks 2010-11 was installed. Most likely this would be the folder in which QuickBooks 2009-10 was installed. By default this folder is: C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2009-10.
3. Find and rename the BAS.ini file to BAS.old.
4. Launch QuickBooks and open the BAS Report. QuickBooks will create a new BAS.ini file.
NOTE: You will need to reconfigure your BAS after renaming the BAS.ini file.
If this step does not resolve the issue then you will need to uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks 2010-11 into a new directory.
From the Windows Start menu, select Control Panel
- Select Programs and then click Programs and Features
- Select all QuickBooks in the list of programs and click Uninstall
- Follow the instructions to uninstall QuickBooks
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs
- Select all QuickBooks in the list of programs, and then click Remove
- Follow the instructions to remove QuickBooks
- Insert the QuickBooks 2010/11 CD into the CD-ROM drive
- Follow the on screen instructions to re-install QuickBooks
- When you are prompted to select your installation folder, tick Install QuickBooks [version] 2010-11.
- Do not Select an existing version to upgrade
- Continue the installation process
- Once the installation is complete, open QuickBooks and generate the BAS Report
You will now be able to configure your BAS Report.