Unable to run QuickBooks Database Server Manager 2008-09 and 2009-10 simultaneously
Legacy KB ID: 422
QuestionWhy can’t I run my QuickBooks Database Server Manager 2008-09 and 2009-10 simultaneously even though I have installed the QuickBooks Database Server Manager 2009-10 Update Patch ?
QuickBooks Database Server Manager 2008-09 and 2009-10 cannot be run simultaneously in multi user mode. Only one service of the Database Server Manager can be run at a time. You will need to manually start and stop the Database Server Manager services on the server to utilise multi user mode.
In order to do this, you will be required to install the QuickBooks 2009-10 Database Server Manager Update on your file server; Once you have installed the QuickBooks Database Server Manager 2009-10 Update Patch, you will find the following services in the Computer Management Services list.
1. QuickBooks Database Server Manager Services
where xx = version number
23=2014; 22=2013; 21=2012/13, etc.
Note: Even though both versions of QuickBooks Database Server Manager are installed, there is only one QuickBooks Database Server Manager application which will be used for both QuickBooks 2008-09 and 2009-10.
Use the QuickBooks Database Server Manager to scan the folders where you store both 2008/09 & 2009/10 data files on the server
Important: All company files stored on the server must be scanned once to ensure that they're configured properly to allow other users access to these company files.
· From the Windows Start menu, select All Programs > QuickBooks > QuickBooks Database Server Manager
· From the Scan Folders tab, click the Add Folder button and browse to the folder containing the company file(s)
· Select the folder and click OK. The path will appear in the Folders that contain QuickBooks company files field
· Click Scan to start the scanning process
· After the scan completes, click Close
· From the Windows Start menu, select Run...
· Enter services.msc in the Open field and click OK
· From Services (Local), locate QuickBooksDB17 and QuickBooksDB18
· Check which QuickBooksDB version is started in the Services list
- If QuickBooksDB17 is started, QuickBooks 2008/09 on the client pc will work in Multi-user
- If QuickBooksDB18 is started, QuickBooks 2009/10 on the client pc will work in Multi-user
· If QuickBooksDB18 is started and you wish to enable multi-user for QuickBooks 2008/09, you will need to stop QuickBooksDB18 service and start QuickBooksDB17 or vice versa
- In order to start QuickBooksDB17, right-click on QuickBooksDB18 and select Stop
- Right-click on QuickBooksDB17 and select Properties
- Select Manual from the Startup Type menu and click Apply
- Click Start
· Once you have started the required services, rescan the folders on QuickBooks Database Server Manager application
· Start QuickBooks 2008/09 on the client pc and open the 2008/09 data files on the server and switch to Multi-user mode